Monday, July 27, 2015

E-mail dated 7/27/15

Family and Friends,

Akwaabo! Another week has passed here in Ghana, which somehow means another week has passed at home as well! I'm not sure though because the weeks seem to go by so much faster here in Africa, I think it should be Tuesday at home. But I'm so glad everyone had a great and safe past 7 days! I loved hearing about the different adventures and exciting news about the house (I would do anything for central air conditioning right now). Now all we have to do is redo the basement and I won't even recognize it! 

I'm also glad that Josh returned home safely from Trek, I wish I could have been there with him. I think you all remember, but I loved my Trek so much! I would do it again in a heart beat. I look back and laugh now, because I just realized that I walk more on my mission everyday than I did on Trek (4 years ago we walked around 6 miles a day, here on my mission it can sometimes be 7 to 8 miles). Although after reading in the July Liahona, I have a greater and deeper respect for the Pioneers. If you haven't read the article, I recommend you read it!

So, to skip ahead to my week: it was good. Nothing too special, certainly a challenging one at times. On Tuesday, after our district meeting, as Elder Gasolo and I were walking to our area we heard his hip make a loud pop. We both kinda freaked out a little bit, and it was hurting so badly we had to go back to the apartment. We sadly were confined to the apartment for quite a few hours every day this week. The medication that he is taking isn't working, so President Stevenson is trying to figure out a step that doesn't involve him going home. I'm praying things will work out!

Something exciting did happen on Friday though as I was able to go on splits with my zone leader, Elder Hodges. Of course, I was really excited to finally have a full day of proselyting! He goes home next week, so it was his last time being in Axim (His area is about 2 hours away in a place called Tarkwa). The zone leaders spent 2 nights in our apartment because they live so far away! It was really nice to spend time with other missionaries though, it makes everything a lot of fun.\

Today was a great P-Day as well because we went to the beach again! We played football, rugby, and frisbee for 4 hours and now we're at an internet cafe near there! I think the rest of what I have to say can be answered in your questions.

1.  When you can't be out proselyting because of Elder Gasolo's illness, what do you do to keep busy during the day?

I read. I recently began the Book of Mormon reference challenge, where you mark 3 things in different colors of a cheap copy; The titles of the Savior (including pronouns), His words, and His attributes. It's been amazing so far. I also read the teachings of the presidents of the Church, all the Liahona's from the past 2-3 years, and anything I can get my hands on. I have way too much time.

2.  Any new investigators this week?  

Sadly no... it was a rough week of injury.

3.  What district are you in now?  President Stevenson visited 6 districts this week.  How far from the mission home is your area by car? 

I'm in the Axim District! We're about 4 hours away from the mission home, the farthest place in the mission equal only to.... Dunkwa-On-Offin. I've gone from one outskirt of the mission to the other! President Stevenson is doing interviews for our zone tomorrow though, so look out this week! 


4.  Is your apartment fully equipped with all the "comforts of life?"  Are you lucky enough to have a washer, stove/oven, etc.?

We have a 4-burner stove, and everyone has a nice standing fan near their beds. What else can we ask for?? My washer hasn't come yet (I don't know if it ever will) and no apartment in the mission has an oven! There are 4 bathrooms for only 3 companionship's though, so that's really nice. And also, we have a balcony that overlooks the ocean, so that makes up for anything!


5.  Are you happy and healthy?  (hey, it has been a couple of weeks since I asked)

Yes, I'm happy and healthy! I can't say the same for my companion, but I am doing well. Nothing to complain about!


Thank you all again for the emails and the support this week, they mean a lot. I hope that everyone has a great coming week and that I can hear form you all next week! I love you all.


Love,
Elder Degen

No comments:

Post a Comment