Monday, January 18, 2016

E-mail dated 1/18/16

Family and Friends,

Akwaabo! Another crazy week has passed and I can't believe that it's already Monday again. Thank you, as always, to those who emailed me this week! It sounds like everyone is enjoying the winter back home, although I know some people are looking forward to the spring time more than others (Mom)... This week was hot in Liberia again, just in case anybody was wondering! Back to the usual temperatures of 90 to 95 degrees.

Anyways, I know I usually say that I had eventful weeks, but this week was probably one of the craziest ones in a long time. On Tuesday we had our mission tour with Elder Vern P. Stanfill and it was amazing. What was really cool though was that I got to be apart of the Missionary Leadership Council and he was directing it. To explain, it was just 8 missionaries, the Carlsons and the Stanfills counseling together on how to improve the mission. I learned so much from Elder Stanfill both during his instruction to the mission and in the leadership meeting. He was put into the area presidency last fall and I'm excited to hopefully see him again soon! 

We finished preparing Anita and Precious for baptism during the weekdays and they had a successful baptism on Saturday morning! It was awesome. When we got to the chapel in the morning though, the font was no where close to being filled and so we just turned on the tap and we all watched the Restoration for an hour or so. It was completely unplanned, but it actually brought a great spirit to the baptism so Elder Cichoski and I have decided to show it before every service from now on! I will try to send pictures either this week or next, by the way. 

The craziest part of my week though was that we received our transfer news! I was expecting to stay together with Elder Cichoski at least another few transfers, but on Friday I was called to train a new missionary!! Because our mission is still young and growing, President Carlson wanted his Zone Leaders to train missionaries while still doing our other duties. I'm honestly really excited at this opportunity, just because I love training new missionaries so much. I will keep you updated next week and I will tell you my new companions name! He will come on Wednesday.
To answer your questions...

1.  Are transfers next week?  Any indications on what you will be doing?
To clarify, I will still be staying in New Georgia and so will Elder Cichoski! We will just split up and take different areas because the other two missionaries in our apartment were transferred out.

2.  What is the greatest miracle you witnessed this past week?  I think you will agree that miracles occur every day in our lives?
I do agree completely that miracles happen every day. I think I've mentioned this before, but I have seen so many "tender mercies" since I've come to Liberia. These mercies are never anything big or life changing, but little by little they build up. For example, random people picking us up because they feel prompted to. Or when we're really hungry and want to go back to the apartment, somehow a member feeds us. These are the miracles I experience every day!

3.  Any fun P-day activities coming up?
Yes! We're planning on playing 9 vs. 9 kickball next Monday between my district and another district! I'm so excited. I'll try to send pictures next week!

4.  Any Liberian holidays coming up?  Monday is Martin Luther King Day here at home.
Hmm... Even if there are, I have absolutely no idea. Normally holidays just kind of sneak up on us here and before we know it our proselyting day is ruined! 

Thank you again to every one who wrote me this week and prayed for me. I'm excited for this coming week and I can't wait to tell you who my new companion is! I love you all so much. Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Gavin Degen

No comments:

Post a Comment