Monday, September 1, 2014

Elder Degen's e-mail from 9/1/14

I'm finally done with the MTC! I can't believe its almost been two weeks since I left home, it seems like yesterday somedays and an eternity others. The MTC has gotten progressively better as the week has gone on though! I have made great friends here that I will never forget. I was struggling and praying constantly, and my prayers were answered. Elders Wight (from Oregon), Wightman (Arizona), Kochevar (Las Vegas), and Brown (Idaho), have been my refuge here! We have actually started to enjoy the MTC finally! My best friend here has been Kochevar, who reminds me of Jordan Erekson. We all meet every night in one of our rooms and share all of our precious american candy, which we can never get enough of (hint, hint). Sometimes it feels like we are all at a two week long summer camp or EFY, which makes things so much easier and faster. In all honesty, this week has flown by! Don't get me wrong, it had it's ups and downs, but I am in much better spirits than my last email home. To answer your question though, yes, I am excited to leave here at 1 tomorrow and head to cape coast! Oh, before I forget, if you want to see pictures and a slide show of my group at the MTC, go to GhanaMTC.blogspot.com !
 
It's so good to hear that you are all doing well and having fun in St. George! It sounds like a blast. I miss all of you so much! This week has taught me a lot and I truly do feel like I am ready to go out into the mission field. I knew the gospel before I came, but I had no idea how to teach it. Through hard work, study, prayer and practice I have been able to become a much more effective teacher than I ever thought I could become in 2 short weeks. The Lord works miracles on those who diligently seek him, I can testify to that! I just keep praying that my first trainer will be a great example and will learn even more as I am out in the field.
 
So as I said, I am leaving tomorrow at 1 in the afternoon. President Stevenson is leaving the mission home at 6:00 a.m. to come pick up the 15 missionaries serving in Cape Coast. It's about a 3 hour car ride to our mission. The elders and sisters who are in the MTC going to Nigeria on their missions (about 60 or so)  leave tomorrow morning at 4 a.m. because of their flight. There are 8 others who are going to the Accra West Mission (including Kochevar) whom I am going to miss. I have come to love nearly every one here, and I'll admit, it may be a little sad to see them all go.
 
Thank you mom for all that you do for me. I look forward to you email every week. I think that I will consistenly be able to email on mondays from now on, so plan on that! I love hearing from all of you that email me and I'm so sorry if I am not able to respond to all of you now. The MTC has no order and they kick us out of the computer room whenever they want, so I have at most a half an hour to read and email everyone back. Please understand if I'm not able to get to you! I still love all of you!
 
Love,
Elder Degen
 
(I'm still working on my catch phrase)

No comments:

Post a Comment