Monday, June 15, 2015

E-mail dated 6/15/15

Abusuafo, Mo ho te sen? (Family, how are you?) Things are doing well here in Dunkwa! I'm glad I got to hear so much about home this week and about how everyone is! It sounds like summer is in full swing and that everyone is happy to be out of school. When I heard that the family went to Snowbird, I had to stop and think of the last time that I actually slept in the room there and I couldn't remember! Because of basketball camps, jobs and other things I don't think I've slept there in a long time! It's crazy to think that all 7 of us fit in there at one point. Some things have changed, but not too much! 

For me this week wasn't too eventful, although it was full of lessons and walking. I was able to attend some of a massive Ghanaian funeral on Saturday though, so that was awesome! Sunday was also fun because Abigail really needed help teaching the Primary so I somehow got put in charge of teaching the kids again! Thankfully it was a lot of fun though and the kids were somewhat well behaved. I had all of them draw me with crayons and I now have some priceless souvenirs that I will never forget! These kids are so cute.

I'm going to try and do this once a week, but I don't know if I will be able to do it every Monday! But I want to start telling about my favorite lesson that I taught during the previous week. So for this week it was with an investigator named Frank. He has come to Church for 5 weeks now and is really serious about the gospel and knows his Bible very well. The only problem is that he doesn't see the need to be baptized again from his church into ours. We explained to him that you need to be baptized by someone who holds the power of God (Hebrews 5:4) and that if it wasn't by this power then it won't be "bound in Heaven" (Matthew 16:19). He was certain that his pastor held this power because he had read the bible and God gave him the power, just as he can do with anyone that wants it. We had to explain to him that God hands his Authority down through the laying on of hands (Acts 6) and has always done it. The lesson went back and forth, but he still wasn't convinced. So this week we are planning to go to him with Brother Essien and get a powerful testimony from a return missionary! I'm excited to see what happens.

As for your questions!

1) It's definitely only the soccer type of football that we play here in Ghana! I will let you know if I have actually play real American Football, that would be crazy!

2) Yes, transfers are a week from this wednesday and transfer news is this Saturday! I have a feeling that I might be leaving, but I would like to stay. I guess I will find out this week!

3) Yes, Elder Keetch is still my zone leader and actually he will be coming here to Dunkwa on Wednesday (Hopefully with my package!!)

4) Hmmm... My biggest challenge was seeing how the branch struggled to function a little bit when our Branch President became sick this week! There is still a lot of work to do here in Dunkwa. My sweetest success was seeing the pictures from the YSA event in Winneba that Abigail, Sarfo, Matilda attended. They had a lot of fun and possible met their future temple-worthy spouses there! 

5) Hopefully I will get the package this week! Normally I have to pay about 30 cedis duty on the packages that I receive. I'm sure everything arrived safe and sound though!

6) Yes, I'm healthy and perfectly happy :)

Thank you again everyone for your love and support and I can't wait to hear from everyone next week!
Love,
Elder Gavin Degen

No comments:

Post a Comment