Monday, April 11, 2016

E-mail dated 4/11/16

Family and Friends,
Akwaabo! It's been a successful P-day today, and I'm glad that I now have the chance to hear from every one. From everything that I read, it seems that every one is doing well and that every one is happy and healthy! I only am aware of one heartbreak that happened (UNC....) but that's nothing compared to the good news that I heard. Thank you to every one!

My week in Liberia was an eventful one (I don't know how many times I've said that already, but somehow every week it seems to be true). Elder Adams and I went with each other to MLC on Wednesday, we instructed our zone on Thursday and then went to 2 District Presidency meetings on Saturday. It was a lot of effort, but it was also a lot of fun! I love being with other missionaries, and all these meetings were great opportunities to talk with the other Elders.

As far as my area goes, it was also an awesome week! Leroy came to church again, and he is progressing really well. We're so excited about him. Rita, sister of Jones Shekpeh (I baptized him in February), has also decided to be baptized and Elder Eguko and I were ecstatic! Our last candidate for the 23rd is Mitchell, who is the 12 year old son of one of our strong members. We were able to see all of them this week, and we are very excited about their progression. They should be interviewed either this week or next!

Also, we found a new investigator this week, and it's hard to put into words who this girl is. She is 19 and she's from Sierra Leone and she reminds me so much of my Recent Convert in Ghana, Abigail! I'll keep you all updated as we continue to teach these great people.

To answer your questions...

1.  Were you able to view conference yet?
I haven't been able to view it, but I was able to download it on my iPod this week and I've read through almost all of them! It. was. amazing. Of course, I'm biased, and Elder Hallstrom's talk was my favorite. 
To add to that though, I have been absolutely amazed at how many things are in the Gospel Library app! Since I've received my iPod, I have learned so much from talks, study aids, and manuals inside the app. I hope every one who has a smart phone is using the app to its fullest, because I feel like an idiot for wasting my time at home.

2.  Are there any big sporting events in Monrovia?
No... There was a football match a few months back, but other than that Liberia doesn't have too much else. There's a decent stadium in town, but the Liberia team isn't very good. 

3.  You painted your apartment to look like a giraffe?  Do missionaries live in the entire building or is it subdivided into more than one apartment?
I didn't paint it like that, that's how we bought it! How could you expect me to live in Africa and not have a giraffe painted house?? All 6 of us live in there with no divisions, just 3 rooms and 2 bathrooms. Speaking of the title of my email though, I'm not referring to showers of the rainy season, I'm referring to water in my apartment... we ran out this week. It was not a pleasant sight (or smell).

4.  Does it rain every day now?  Are you glad for the rainy season?
Nope, I don't think it rained at all this week. But, rainy season officially starts on the 15th, so hopefully things will start to pick up soon! You'll be receiving pictures of me in rain boots and an umbrella next month!

5.  What is the biggest road block your investigators have in accepting the gospel?  Is it word of wisdom?  Tithing?  I would think if a lot of people live in poverty that asking the to pay 10% of their income to tithing would be challenge.
Definitely, without a doubt, most people's biggest problem is the law of Chastity. These people don't care about money, and they're willing to give any tithing to God. Most people understand that alcohol and drugs are bad. But my goodness, Liberians have a problem with the law of Chastity. I'll just leave it at that... 

Well, I guess that's all for this week! Remember that I love you all and pray for you daily. There's not a day that goes by that I don't thank my Heavenly Father for my family and loved ones at home. I hope that every one has a great and safe week!

Love,
Elder Degen

No comments:

Post a Comment