Monday, July 11, 2016

E-mail dated 7/11/16

Family and Friends,

Akwaabo! I didn't realize that today is 7/11 until I opened my email today and saw the date in the corner. I hope that every one is enjoying free Slurpees for me at home! Thank you to every one for your emails this week and your prayers. I'm glad that every one at home also had a safe week with camping, and that there was no rain! Maybe the curse it lifted!

As for my own week, it was great! There's not too much to report from the past seven days, other than a few great lessons and a zone meeting! Other than that it wasn't too eventful. Our zone meeting was great though as we were able to hear about the counsel that Elder Vinson left for the mission when he came a few weeks ago. We are now striving harder to become a more obedient mission, which will greatly benefit our incredibly young mission! My group and I (the five reassigned missionaries) are now the oldest people in the mission, and the only ones over a year. It's insane how young the missionaries will be when we leave next month. 

Elder Tayie and did have some memorable lessons this week, though! When I first arrived here in Caldwell, we were referred to three children of a less-active member to teach and baptize. Of course, baptizing children in that kind of situation is a horrible idea, so we initially decided just to back off. But this week we decided that it was time to try and reactivate the mother, Hawa, after a year or so of inactivity. We sat down with all her children around and we had a beautiful lesson about the temple. She had been hearing a lot of things about the Church from friends, and she had become really confused what was true. But when we explained to her the simplicity of the temple, and that she could be sealed with her children one day, the spirit filled her heart. We committed her to coming to Church and she promised us she would be there. Surely enough, she was there 10 minutes before sacrament meeting started, seated with all of her children around her! It was amazing.

Also, we will be having a baptism this Saturday! Mohammed Donzo and David Solo have been meeting with us for a little over a month now, and both of them passed their baptismal interviews this past week. Mohammed is a Muslim from Guinea who has converted to Christianity and is currently living with the Mryes family in my branch (brother Myers is one of the "Freetown" missionaries whom the movie is based on). David Solo is an 18 year old guy who has been visiting the Church on and off for a few years now, but something just touched him last month and he has come to church every week since then. Both are so excited and ready for Saturday!

Anyways, to answer your questions...

1.  Did the rain subside this past week?  

Eh, it rained everyday I think, but it wasn't nearly as bad as last Monday. I don't think I'll ever see that much rain again in my life. Thankfully it mainly rains in the mornings and evenings when we're studying or sleeping! 

2.  Are there any investigators that we can include in our prayers this week?

Please include David and Mohammed in your prayers! Also, James Dezon has been facing persecution from his friends since joining the Church, and I would also greatly appreciate it if you could add him to your prayers. Thank you!

3.  Do you know for sure if you will be coming home a week earlier than planned?  I have not seen a revised flight plan from the Church.  It would be awesome if you could be home before school starts instead of during the middle of the first week.  

Well, I said that last week because we thought there was a possibility, but when President Carlson called the travel department they said it would be $500 to change a single ticket... So I will still be coming home on the 24th!
Sorry for the scare.

Anyways, I love you all so much! I always love opening my inbox and seeing all your wonderful emails every week. I always feel so much love and support, even though I'm not always able to email every one back. Thank you again, I love you all!

Love,
Elder Degen

No comments:

Post a Comment